Friday, January 15, 2010

Chicken Gyros

One of my new favorite sites is Your Homebased Mom. She's got lots of great stuff and this is the latest thing I've tried from her recipes. The hubby and I LOVE lamb gyros but have never attempted making them. So when I saw a recipe for chicken gyros I thought I'd go for it.

The recipe makes enough for 4-6 gyros. She said she cut the sauce recipe in half, I didn't, but I now know why she did - there was a ton of it!

With 2 oz. of chicken, the 1 point Weight Watcher pita, plus a nice serving of sauce, this entire gyro was only 4 points! WAY better health wise than any I would get at a restaurant :)


Ingredients:

Sauce:

16 oz. plain yogurt - I used greek so I wouldn't have to strain it

1 regular cucumber - I peeled it, seeded it, and then shredded it
2-3 cloves garlic - I use the kind that's already minced in the jar
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice - I use the kind from the jug (between 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon)
Extra virgin olive oil - I used 1 teaspoon

Chicken:


4 cloves garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping tablespoons plain yogurt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 6 - 2oz. tenders)

-Pita bread or soft wrap bread (She has a recipe on her site for the bread - it looks amazing but I just used Weight Watchers 100% whole wheat pita bread that is only 1 point)
-Fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
-Red onion, sliced thin


Directions:

1. Shred the cucumber. Wrap in a towel a squeeze to remove as much water as possible.

2. Mix together the yogurt, cucumber, garlic, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. I refrigerated mine overnight. Let it sit at least 30 minutes to make it all yummy and tasty.

3. To prepare the chicken, combine the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk together until mixed well. Add the chicken to the bowl and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour (I did mine overnight).

4. Cook the chicken as desired, either in the skillet, broiler or on the grill. (I cooked mine in a pan on the stove with some non-stick cooking spray). Once the chicken is completely cooked through, transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes and then cube.

5. Heat pitas. Top with chicken, tzatziki sauce, diced tomatoes and sliced onions. Serve immediately.


This recipe was super fast and easy and very healthy and filling. Go over and check her site out - there are many more delicious recipes I can't wait to try!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment